Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Quick Pesto

This has been one of my and my friend's favorites for quite a while! It's not really a pesto sauce the way you've probably had it before. It's a very simple and quick way of making a pesto sauce while it's less of a paste than 'regular' pesto. I prefer this way since it maintains the texture of the ingredients and the sauce is literally prepared within minutes.

You can serve this with any kind of pasta. I like to use tortellini with a cheese filling. Bristol Farms has a nice selection of freshly prepared pasta, tortellini and such...


for 2 people:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons pine nuts, coarsely chopped
1 handful fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1 handful fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
ground parmesan cheese to taste
pasta of your choice


Instructions:

Time yourself so you'll be able to serve the pasta al-dente. The sauce just takes a few minutes to prepare.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and garlic and sauté until slightly starting to brown. Don't burn the garlic as it will become bitter. Add basil and mint leaves, season with salt and pepper and stir for only about 10 seconds.

Immediately pour the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

5 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Jenne said...

Hey! I've been meaning to link to your blog for a while now. I wrote about it back in December (I think) and finally got around to adding it to the links on my blog.

All your recipes look sooooooo good. Too bad I don't have a proper kitchen (or access to half the ingredients) right now to try any of them out. :)

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the look of your undoubtedly - delish deconstructivist dish.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the look of your undoubtedly - delish deconstructivist dish.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great looking recipe, I would wonder if you can substitute to reduce the salt and fat, (not that its for me).

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i think it would depend on what kind of pasta you're going to use. for example if you're having a strong cheese filling, you might want to omit the salt completely.

in terms of fat, i believe that virgin olive oil shouldn't be too fatty? just don't use butter as that will make it a lot more fatty than the oil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home