Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thailand Day 1: B Resto

I meant to post some pictures and comments from our New York trip as well, but the time before the departure to Thailand was just not enough!

But I'll update on New York later, as this trip had quite some culinary highlights!


I'm in Thailand now... This also means that the format of this blog will change a bit during this month as I don't have a kitchen to cook in for now.

But I thought I'd share some food related experiences out of Thailand, a country that in my personal opinion has to offer more than any other country I've been to so far.

Arriving in Bangkok at 6am in the morning, the humidity already hit me exiting the airplane. I believe this is a key reason already, why the food tastes so great down here.

Wherever you go, there's always the smell of chilies and the countless local herbs and spices in the humid air that will keep making you hungry as you're exploring the streets of Bangkok. Maybe that's why the thais eat all the time. It's just impossible to resist surrounded by those wonderful scents!


Last tuesday, my best friends' mother just opened her thai restaurant around the corner where they live, on soi rangnam. The beautiful, black lacquer tables really brought forward the colors of thai food.

As a starter, we tried a stew with egg, pork and fried tofu which reminded me a lot of a japanese dish I've eaten in Los Angeles.

The simple fried rice with prawns and a few drops of the chili/fish sauce on top accompanied by one of my favorite vegetables, stir fried morning glory, was a real treat. This dish was quite spicy with many fresh, red and green chilies inside. One has to be careful not to mistake a green chili for a vegetable!

We've also had a clear soup on the side with seaweed, minced pork and another kind of tofu. Everything was deliciously prepared at a price of about 1$ per dish!

B Resto, Soi Rangnam (opposite Kasikorn Bank), Phayathai, Bangkok, 10400

2 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks soooo good!!!
and, looks so healthy!!!!!! a lot of vegetable...
i cannot wait to be there..

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks soooo good!!!
and, looks so healthy!!!!!! a lot of vegetable...
i cannot wait to be there..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home